Thursday, May 15, 2008

New Books

Unsurprisingly walking up to the bank to deposit my tax rebate cheque this week led me to not one, but two, bookstores which stole yet more money from my week bibliophile hands. All together I returned with eight more books...

1. Heart of Darkness by Joseph Conrad (review below)

2. Treat 'Em Rough! The Birth of American Armor, 1917-20 by Dale E. Wilson

A nice hardcover edition

3. Fatal Passage: The untold story of John Rae, the Arctic adventurer who discovered the fate of Franklin by Ken McCoogan

I have a small thing in my heart for good exploration yarns. Plus it was oddly connected with Heart of Darkness.

4. The Influence of Sea Power Upon History, 1660-1783 by Alfred Thayer Mahan

I've wanted this one for awhile and every time I head into the BookMart I've almost grabbed one of the four or five editions they have. This time I grabbed a nice 1960s hardcover edition with plenty of nice maps.

5. Churchill's Second World War volumes three through six.

I'm almost done the second volume and only picked up the first two the last time I went to the BookMart and grabbed the last four - all first editions of the Houghton Mifflin mass market hardcovers from the late 1940s - early 1950s. They look awfully nice on my bookcase (which I think is perceptibly groaning under the weight of all these books).

No comments: